Saturday, April 16, 2016

DITL - Spring 2016

I can't believe it is time for another one of these posts. I literally feel like my winter DITL was just posted...maybe that is because spring isn't actually coming this year. Lily feels personally slightly by the groundhog. For real, I'm not sure it is a relationship that can ever be repaired. Insert some cliche about time and marching and yada yada. Perhaps it is time to update an old mantra, "I'll blog when I'm dead." - If I knew how I'd silkscreen some tshirts...check Etsy they have everything!

Another season, another Tuesday...this is no ordinary Tuesday however! As of today I am have officially moved into the next age bracket for most road races. Watch out all you 39 year olds, there is a spring chicken coming for you! We like birthdays around here. Unfortunately there has been little to no "birthday week extravaganza" to speak of. Matt has had the flu for forever. Technically it was only 7 days, but that is basically the same as forever when you have three small children who are also in various states of fever and recovery. For those of you who have been keeping track, at least one of my beloveds has spoiled me with vomit on my birthday 3 of the last 5 years. While this year there was no tossing of cookies on my actual birthday (sorry to have ruined the suspense!) we have been having a rough week. Matt has called for a "Mommy birthday do over" once everyone is felling better. Sign me up.

DITL - Spring 2016
Tuesday April 12th, 2016 

I am 35! 
Matt 33
Lily 6
Ben 3 (2 weeks shy of 4)
Hugh 20m (1 week shy of 21m) 

7:04am - This is just glorious. A wake up after 7am is a beautiful thing. The kids aren't allowed out of their rooms until 7:30 but most days they are up chatting with the sun. Ben has been sleeping alone in Lily's room due to some behavioral issues we were having. (i.e. getting into Hugh's crib repeatedly, at all hours, despite knowing this is against the rules.) I incorrectly assume that since I do not hear any squabbling that Ben has stayed in bed as, we would later discover that he had been in the playroom for god only knows how long. We are sort of at out wits end with the defiance. He knows the rules, he just has zero impulse control. Matt goes upstairs to scold him and I hear Lily and Hugh greet him loudly. 

7:20am - I let Dingle handle the scolding and what must be a pretty horrific diaper change based on the protests I hear coming from Youkie. 

7:25am - I can hear everyone in the living room chattering about my birthday cards (of which Lily made 4) so I decide that I should get up and start the day! I take a peek out the window and am instantly bummed that it is grey and raining. I usually have such good luck with the weather on my birthday!

7:30am - I am happily greeted by the boys who both pucker up for their good morning kiss. Lily is mad because she is working on a "surprise" and doesn't want me to see yet. She smiles for a picture but will not let me get close enough for a kiss, haha.

7:45am - Matt has served the kids their 8 course breakfast and made me a cup of coffee. Two funny asides: With Dingle being so sick I have been on breakfast duty for the past week...the kids are thrilled to have "Daddy the waiter" back. Two, we are still eating at the pint-sized table that Dingle made for Lily's birthday party because, again, Daddy has been too sick to put the real table back in place.

8:00am - Breakfast is winding down and I check the radar map to see how much rain we are supposed to get. I have a long run on the schedule for today and I REALLY want to get it done. Outlook seems bleak!

Ben is running around taking care of "Sally" the baby doll that has recently resurfaced as Lily's major responsibility. Hugh is not far behind mimicking all of big brothers' actions. Lily is working feverishly to finish her surprise before it is time to get ready for school. I take a bunch of random pictures and Lily astutely points out that I "must be doing a day in the life." - HA!

Dingle makes Lily's school lunch: Baby carrots, a gogurt, mango, heart shaped pb sandwich bites, pretzels, and a little Easter candy...exactly the same every day.

8:15am - I take all three kiddos upstairs to get ready for the day. With Matt working from home it isn't really necessary to bring Hugh with me to drop off but he insists on going. Taking him is easier than fighting with him at the front door. There is a major squabble over the step stools in the bathroom. Ben is frustrated that Hugh is on "his stool" and opts to brush teeth in front of the window. Hugh has mastered the art of teeth brushing, clearly. 

8:30 - Kids are dressed and for the most part ready to go. I pull up the weather (again) to see if I am changing into running clothes or real clothes...I opt for real clothes. This is about as presentable as I can manage for our excursion. Throw my "security blanket" sunglasses on my head despite the complete and total lack of 'need'. 

8:40am - Out the door we go! (ON TIME!) 

9:05am - I pull into Ben's preschool on two wheels. This isn't actually that late for us! Having dropped Lily off at 8:55, ten minutes to cross town is pretty decent. Because I like to live life on the edge I drop Ben off before getting gas. What is the worst that could happen?!?

On the ride home Hugh quietly looks out the window and I sing along to Bieber. I consider stopping somewhere for a birthday breakfast treat but the sky is looking bright and I think I can get my run in after all. I check the mailbox at the end of the road and my heart sinks when I see the bill from the dentist. I knew it was going to be a doozie but man...was not prepared for almost 500 dollars! File this under, Being a grownup is hard.

On a happy note there were also two birthday cards in the mail!

9:30am - Hugh has a bit of a temper tantrum about taking off his coat and shoes, which earns him a brief timeout. I think he gets it, maybe? He doesn't like it, that is for certain.

10:00am - Hugh goes down for morning nap. About two weeks ago I attempted to drop morning nap in favor of one afternoon nap. Hugh has always napped better in the morning but I figured for ease of our schedule I could push nap to the early afternoon...I figured wrong. For now he is still taking two naps but in the afternoon it is usually more like 'quiet rest time' than actual sleeping. I suppose I don't really care either way, as long as he is happy. 

10:10am - Dingle is working at the counter and it is pouring off and on in 5 minute intervals. I swear the sky looked brighter over the other side of town! I putt around picking up the house for a little bit and make some notes for this post. I return happy birthday texts, check my email, and scroll through social media.

10:30am - I can't just sit here, I decide to go for it and change into running clothes. Dingle offers to go get Ben from school which means I don't have to rush right out as soon as my run is done. I have been terrible about stretching lately in part because the minute I get home someone is bound to need something. I am very excited, a run and time to relax afterwards. Happy Birthday to me!

12:00pm - All done, soaking wet, freezing, so proud. Twenty five year old me would be humbled by thirty five year old me on so many levels.

Stretching in the living room when I get this text:

12:30pm - I text Ben's preschool teacher and officially submit my application for Mother of the Year! 

12:31pm - I take a glorious hot shower and bask in the silence of my empty house.

12:50pm - Dingle and the boys arrive home with all kinds of surprises. Happy Meals, flowers, champagne, and a cookie cake! I am a lucky lady!

1:00pm - The guys and I eat lunch. Hugh acts like a wild animal. We really need to make the dining room table a priority!

1:30pm - The boys and I go upstairs to play before nap. Ben has been obsessed with playing "The ladybug game" but Hugh makes it very hard to play a complete game. We try our best to earn our mantis cards and collect aphids but Hugh is acting like a toddler Godzilla. At one point Hugh grabs my game piece and makes a bee line for the bathroom. Ben is understandably frustrated and we call it a game. 

2:00pm - The boys go down for naps. Hugh in the crib with his blankie and paci. Ben in Lily's room with blankie, Baby Chase, Reindeer, and a few other favorites of the week.

I normal wouldn't do laundry on my birthday but Ben has some clothes in his backpack that need attention! Plus, I am way behind on laundry for the week so I spend a few minutes shuffling the clothes. Of all the chores, I am the worst at laundry. No matter what I tell myself at the start of the week: I do not do a load a day, I do not switch the wet clothes to the dryer right away, and I certainly do not fold and put away the clean clothes in a timely manner. sigh. 

2:15pm - Matt offers to go pick up Lily and I decide to do something crazy...take a nap! I am not a good napper. Usually I end up feeling worse than when I went to sleep, but in light of a long run and the rigors of having been born 35 years ago I decide to risk it! 

3:50pm - I wake up on my own from nap and feel crazemazing! Snuggles on the couch with Lily and Hugh aren't too shabby either.

4:05pm - Ben peeks his head down from the playroom and after receiving confirmation of the time, joins us on the couch.  

We all watch an episode of Doc McStuffins that I have been saving on the DVR...spoiler alert...the baby's name is Maya! For a lot of reasons I have loved this particular story line. What an excellent way to introduce the kids to the concept of adoption. Kudos to you Disney Jr.. Many excellent conversations have been had!

5:00pm - Dinner! Dingle heads out to our local pizza place for a buffalo chicken pizza while I make the kids their favorite...chicken nuggets and mac mac.

After dinner I am presented with the (slightly scary) cookie cake and a very beautiful rendition of "Happy Birthday!"


6:00pm - With the kids all amped up on cookie cake we head upstairs to the playroom for a dance party! Sadly there are no pictures taken! That being said, I have a million videos of the kids' sweet dance moves and should definitely post them here! 

6:30pm - Rub-a-dub-dub three kids in the tub! (Again, no pics...I would like to say I was busy supervising the children...or something) 

7:00pm - Stories and bedtime. Matt reads, I wrangle. 

7:20pm - The kids are in bed so I pop the bubbly! Dingle works for a little while longer while I clean up the kitchen a bit and watch Jeopardy. 

8:00pm - The party gets real...I bust out the cribbage board! 

10:00pm - For a few hours we play cards and watch TV. Dingle isn't feeling 100% and we both decide there is no shame in calling it a night. For the record I take two out of three games ;) 

10:30pm - The kids are all settled, animals are taken care of. Teeth brushed, laundry switched over, snuggled in to bed! I put on an episode of Big Bang Theory but 5 minutes in I know I am a goner! Kiss Dingle goodnight and he laments that this was sort of a lame birthday. On the contrary and not to end on such a sappy note...BUT...if only every day could be this sweet. Happy Birthday to me! 

Thirty five...sounds pretty great to me. 


  1. I tend to agree with you about the simplicity of the day. Looks and sounds like thirty-five started out pretty great, sans a scary cookie cake!

  2. Those kids of yours are adorable?! And getting so big. :( Glad everyone is on the mend! Happy belated birthday. XO

  3. A birthday DITL is the best! Happy Birthday - sounds like a great day to me too!