Friday, January 28, 2011

First Fever

This is the first time Lily and I have both been sick at the same time so I guess I should count my blessings but holy hell, this really sucks.

It all started Tuesday night, Lily woke up around midnight crying.  It was the kind of cry that sets off some crazy internal alarm moms don't know they have, until it goes off. I immediately sprung awake and rushed in to check on her.  Sure enough she had a fever of almost 102.  There is nothing in the world more torturous than watching helplessly while your child is in pain...frankly I don't know how we are going to make it through high school.  We brought Lily into our bed (where Dingle resumed sleeping almost instantly) and I lay awake with a 102 degree heating blanket clinging to my chest.  Lily was just plain pathetic, in the most endearing way ever.  She snuggled and sighed and whimpered...until 2am when she finally surrendered to sleep and I put her back in her crib.  Every hour on the hour like clockwork I woke up as if I had been hit my lightning, blame it on the internal alarm.  Yet another joy of motherhood!

Lily's fever hovered between 102 and 103 all day and into the night on Wednesday.  Wednesday night was basically Tuesday night the sequel only with more snot.  All the books say not to medicate a fever under 104 so our poor little muffin just stuck it out.  I will say she was a pretty good sport, there was minimal screeching and only twice did she flail and claw at my face as though she was possessed. Her fever finally broke on Thursday morning and she resumed normal activities just as my temperature began to spike. Last night I was the one whimpering and sighing.  Not wanting to be a hypocrite I refrained from medicating my fever with an OTC and opted for beers instead! Sadly, the effects didn't last long and at 2am I woke up feeling as though my sinuses were filled my hardened concrete. Let the whimpering commence.

So here I am, having not slept through the night since Monday, drowning in a sea of snotty tissues. In the next room I can hear my bouncing baby, refusing to take her morning nap...it's going to be a good day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so sad?! Just think how strong her little immune system is? Nicki always swore by the booger bulb when the kids were snotty.
    Hope your fever's broken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame my husband. I'm sorry. I hope you're feeling better. Maybe I should read up on baby fevers, as I would have totally given E tylonol in that situation. Hmmmm have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete