Friday, March 16, 2012

American Idol 2027

Lily has been going to Music Together (aka music class) since January. After some of the bizarre behavior she has exhibited in other "classes" we have taken, I threw any and all expectations out the window. On the first day of class my kookie little odd ball, who on more than one occasion spent the better part of gym class dancing in the corner alone, marched into the room like she owned the place. She then proceeded to greet each child loudly and overly enthusiastically. The other mothers must have thought she (and I by extension) was nuts.

For the past 9 weeks we have been singing our hearts out on Tuesday mornings. Some weeks were better than others. There were definitely moments when she refused to participate, but overall she is totally into it. Class comes with a CD to listen to at home and in the car. Personally I don't mind most of the songs, but there are a few Lily hates for whatever reason, and we always have to skip those ones. Like most toddlers repetition is her best friend, and there are a few songs we always have to listen to twice...or ten times.

Admittedly, I feel like I total wanker during class. Trust me, to have fun at music class you have to check your pride at the door. Lily's love for the whole silly thing is totally infectious. She talks about music class for three days before class and for several days after. Hands down the curtest thing though is when Matt and I catch her singing to herself in her playroom or over the baby monitor. Naturally she gets half the words wrong but the singing just goes on and on. In typical toddler-double-standard terms Lily has no tolerance for mommy not knowing all of the words to every song, right this minute! Lucky for me I have always had a crazy affinity for reciting lyrics, and I was able to learn most of the 22 songs within the first week or so.

About two weeks into class Lily and I were sitting on the couch and she was requesting songs from her personal jukebox. I was unabashedly botching the second verse of some song when she looked up and me and said, "sneaking around", i.e. the missing words to the second verse. I don't outright brag about my kiddo very often, but there is just no denying she has an ear for all things musical. You should watch her dance and clap her hand in time. Matt is incredibly musical and can play at least four different instruments, but unfortunately he can't sing to save his life. Seriously, it is bad. I can carry a tune alright but only barely played the clarinet for a few years in middle school.

I would be over the moon if it turns out this little girl can sing. Even if she only ever sings to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment